We honor diversity.
We provide equity.
We ensure inclusion.
What is DEI?
Diversity: The presence of differences that may include race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, nationality, socioeconomic status, language, (dis)ability, age, religious commitment, or political perspective.
Equity: Promoting justice, impartiality, and fairness within the procedures, processes, and distribution of resources by institutions or systems.
Inclusion: An outcome to ensure those that are diverse actually feel and/or are welcome.
IEA's DEI Mission Statement
We honor the uniqueness of each individual and embrace diverse backgrounds, values, abilities, and beliefs. We commit to becoming culturally proficient in order to build a strong, inclusive, anti-racist community and prepare our students and ourselves to fully participate in a global society.
Keumok Heo, Co-Chair, Music Teacher
Yolanda Williams, Co-Chair, Reading Specialist
What does the DEI Committee do?
- DEI Committee meets weekly to discuss important agenda topics.
- DEI Committee organizes professional developments.
- DEI Committee maintains a website and bulletin board to provide information.
- DEI Committee works on multicultural curriculum.
- DEI Committee offers cultural events and activities.
- DEI Committee works with the IEA community. Please see the statement to the community.
- DEI Committee creates the multicultural book gallery and art gallery.